PELA CFDC News and Events
Executive Director Position Available
Prince Edward/Lennox and Addington Community Futures Development Corporation (PELA CFDC) is looking for a new Executive Director. If you are interested, please click here to view details on the position and information on how to apply. Please note that resumes must be received by no later than September 5th, 2017.
Lennox & Addington County Businesses Receive Eastern Ontario Development Program Support
August 30, 2016 – Lennox & Addington County
The Prince Edward/Lennox & Addington Community Futures Development Corporation (PELA CFDC) and Mike Bossio, Member of Parliament for Hastings-Lennox & Addington, today announced up to $58, 500 in funding for three businesses in Lennox & Addington County, through the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario’s (FedDev Ontario) Eastern Ontario Development Program (EODP). MP Bossio and representatives of PELA CFDC visited each of the following organizations and delivered the good news in person.
Stinson Studios Inc.
This $10,400 investment will result in improvements to the custom lathe used in production of wooden bowls, including a powered swing to stabilize and enhance capabilities of the knives, programmable linear actuator, and override control for the computer-guided program. This project will lead to increased production and the ability to increase the company’s export sales through the elimination of user error defects, decreased sanding time and extension of prime cutting season.
This investment of up to $9,150 will support the purchase of an industrial horticultural trimmer, irrigation and controls system, and desalination equipment. This project will increase plant propagation and maintenance efficiency and increase productivity facilitating the introduction of JPLANT’s product lines to Ontario and Quebec commercial markets positioning the company for further job creation.
Vi-Lux Building Products Inc.
This investment of $38,450 to support a new line for producing cellular PVC building materials will help Vi-Lux increase production to meet growing demand by large US door manufacturers. This enhanced capability will allow Vi-Lux to grow its export business with additional door component products while maintaining and creating employment at their Napanee facility.
- Stinson Studios Inc. located in Tamworth is Canada’s largest volume manufacturer of wooden bowls. It is a production studio specializing in producing some of the most expensive and high-quality tabletop serving products available in America.
- JPLANT is a seedling nursery located just outside of the Town of Greater Napanee that propagates and sells bamboo, ornamental shrubs and grasses for primarily commercial markets.
- Vi-Lux Building Products Inc. is a manufacturer of cellular PVC extrusion for the construction, door and window industry.
- PELA CFDC is one of 15 Community Futures Development Corporation(CFDC) in eastern Ontario funded by through FedDev Ontario to deliver the Eastern Ontario Development Program (EODP)
- The EODP advances economic development in rural eastern Ontario. Through EODP, FedDev Ontario is collaborating with CFDCs in eastern Ontario to promote the growth of new and existing businesses in rural communities.
- CFDCs deliver a wide variety of programs and services to support community economic development and small business growth. They employ local staff and are each governed by a volunteer board of directors, made up of local residents representing the community.
“I strongly believe that rural Canadians have the ideas and a vast under-tapped capacity for driving economic growth in this country, so I am very pleased to see this investment to give Stinson Studios, JPLANT, and Vi-Lux the tools they need to grow. I wish them all the best of success in their businesses.” -Mike Bossio, MP, Hastings—Lennox and Addington, Chair, National Rural Caucus
“PELA CFDC is committed to supporting rural businesses that increase productivity through investments in equipment and technology, particularly in the agricultural and manufacturing sectors” -Angela Miller, Board Chair of PELA CFDC
“As a small rural family business striving to compete internationally, investing in technological innovation is one of the most costly and important challenges facing us today. Through funding received from EODP, we have developed new technology, achieved advanced capabilities, captured new markets, and supported a growth rate that would have been out of reach on our own” -Jesse Stinson, Co-owner, Stinson Studios
“The funds the company has received from EODP has enabled Jplant to greatly increase its efficiency, reduce labour costs and yield high quality seedlings - all of which have supported the company’s growth in its first year of business.” -Jplant Propagation Nursery
“"EODP contributed to the acquisition of an additional extrusion line for small profiles for our door components program. Thanks to the support of EODP, export sales of these profiles have topped $1.2 million and have led to the creation of five permanent full times position at Vi-Lux. " -Mike Chausse, Vice President, Vi-Lux Building Products Inc.
Craig Desjardins, Executive Director, PELA CFDC
613-476-7901 x 201